crablogo fishlogo
cookingfishmonger logo cookingfishmonger tag line

Should You Remove The Vein Of The Shrimp?

I have been told that it is possible to get extremely ill through food poisoning from not cleaning the intestine from the shrimp before cooking them. Several people have told me that you can’t get ill at all from eating the intestine however several have also told me that you can and when you do it can result in permanently being allergic to shellfish. Any advice and information on this matter would be appreciated?

Comments for Should You Remove The Vein Of The Shrimp?

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

reply this topic
by: home loans

The home loans seem to be useful for guys, which would like to ground their career. By the way, that's comfortable to receive a short term loan.

Shrimp Vein Allergy
by: Adrienne Boswell

I am allergic to the sand vein in shrimp, and have been since I was at least seven years old. It took a long, long time for me to find out that was what I was allergic to, since most of the time when I ate shrimp, it had already been nicely cleaned. I was in my late thirties when I ate a sandy piece of shrimp, and an hour later, had my throat swell. That triggered memories of other times I had had shrimp, and a bad reaction, so I finally figured it out.

My son, who will be eight in November 2011, is also allergic to the sand vein.

We both love shrimp, and are very careful when we eat it. We NEVER eat batter fried shrimp because we can't see if the sand vein has something in it without taking off the coating, and what fun is that?

So, yes, always remove both the sand vein in the back of the shrimp and the blood vein along the inner curve of the shrimp's body.

Why would you eat it?
by: Elaine - The Gourmet Girl Chowhound wrote a nice piece addressing this issue, check it out.
Why anyone would want to eat the excrement filled intestine is beyond my comprehension. That is a bizzare food! I'll pass, thank you.

Cookingfishmonger's Answer
by: The Cookingfishmonger

I have never heard of people getting sick or becoming allergic by eating the vein. I personally don't like it and always remove it. Maybe someone else will contribute with some information on it.

Thanks for visiting
The Cookingfishmonger

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask The Fishmonger.


To The Fishmonger's Community

Need Help?

Just Ask the Fishmonger

Sumbit A Recipe!

Share and Read Seafood Recipes

Subscribe To The Catch Of The Day Newsletter




Don't worry -- your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you
The Catch Of The Day

Never Miss A Recipe

Search Cookingfishmonger

Thanks for Supporting the Cookingfishmonger

Purchasing items from Amazon helps support this site